August 6, 2007

Woo Hoo! We're on the Web!

Woo Hoo! In all caps! At approximately 11:45 p.m. on August 5, 2007, the first version of the Vegas Wineaux website was finally published on the Internet. This accomplishment has been fraught with angst, blowups, disasters, and an assortment of mishaps. For instance, the website had been fleshed out, needing only major tweaking (an actual technical term) when I did *something* and lost everything. All of it. Which meant that last week I had to start from scratch. And because I had determined that in order for Vegas Wineaux to be a success that I had to hold to my projected rollout date, I literally burned the midnight oil, even after having a medical “procedure” (if you’re under 50, you have surgery. If you’re over 50, you have “procedures”). Even though I have to be up and at ‘em at 5:30 a.m., I feel an incredible sense of accomplishment.

Vegas Wineaux is a partially commercial, partially personal website. The commercial part consists of information about our classes and trips. The classes’ planned start dates are in September, and we’re still working on the trips to Paso. Vegas Wineaux Gear™ is in the planning stages, so stay tuned for further information.

The personal part of the Vegas Wineaux website consists of some of my favorite pictures of friends, events, and places, all wine-related and fun. I hope that you find it a fun place to hang out!

I had a day yesterday that could only be described as Kismet. As you old-time readers of the blog know, I am quite a fan of Paso Robles. Well, the two tastings I went to yesterday were pouring Paso wines, and one of them was a new discovery for me.

Steak is a restaurant located in the middle of nowhere on the far reaches of Horizon Ridge, (Sorry Hendersonites! But if you live in the NW like I do, it’s a fer trek) and has one of the most amazing wine rooms I’ve ever seen. I was literally speechless when I walked in. And the prices are just right. The selection is amazing.

I met David, the owner of Steak, at a tasting at – where else – Khoury’s on a Thursday night a few weeks ago. I’ve been receiving the restaurant invites for tastings, but my schedule has not allowed me to get alllll the way out there to indulge. I’m glad that I did.

My second destination was Valley Cheese and Wine, where Bob was pouring Halter Ranch, another one of my favorite Paso wineries. I bought a bottle of Syrah to replace the one I had shared with friends a few months ago, and also bought some amazing cheese that was soft, pungent, and is made with a combination of cow, sheep, and goat milk. Amazing stuff. I also bought some duck sausage. I think it’s the first time I have been able to get out of there for less than $50.00. It’s just about the only place I buy my cheeses now, with only Whole Foods (motto: why pay less?) a serious contender for my high-end cheese cravings.

I was able to take pictures of both places which I’ve placed on the Vegas Wineaux website. The only problem I had was that I accidentally moved *something* on the camera, and the pictures at Steak turned out way too dark. I’ll have to go back to retake some more because that room is marvelous.

I have so much more to report, but it’s nearly 1:00 a.m. as I write this, and the adrenal glands are shutting down. I hope you enjoy your visit to the website, and I’ll talk to y’all next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment